Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 311: Mantra Monday - Be Inspired... But Show Up and Get the Work Done!

... But Show Up and Get The Work Done!
Sometimes it feels impossible to just sit down at my desk and make progress on my dissertation (or fellowship applications... or my unending email backlog... or - gasp! - blog posts...).  The truth is, I've had a bad habit of procrastinating for as long as I've had responsibilities. I know no easy cure.  Procrastination means feeling obsessive urges to clean my kitchen before I can write a sentence.  It means "needing" to organize my closet before I can my second sentence. It means playing games of solitaire between every completed paragraph of a 20-page paper (I'm not kidding).  It means feeling anxious often.   Like a lot of creative types, I wax poetic about needing "inspiration."  Often, it doesn't show up, so I get "inspired" by looming deadlines.  All-nighters ensue, and I end up needing days to recover.

Back in high school and college this process felt kind of romantic and special.  Emergency deadlines made life exciting, and I wasn't even jealous of those folks who ran their races the "slow-and-steady" way (how boring!)  But these days putting things off just makes me feel immature (while procrastinating) and then as though I've aged rapidly and painfully (when recovering from said procrastinating).

The good news is that I've improved dramatically since college.  Instead of being motivated only by the "stick" of looming deadlines, I occasionally move towards the "carrot"of feeling sane, productive, and well-rested.  I've also abandoned the myth that I work "best" under pressure, because I don't.  Instead, I know that I write best when I'm feeling positive and confident, and when I regularly set small, achievable goals (and then accomplish them).  Even knowing these things, I still struggle with procrastination.

I recently found myself on a website offering advice on "how to overcome procrastination" (I should have been working... ironic, eh?).  I read this quote and found it compelling (perhaps even... inspiring!):
I think Mr. Close (a painter - I googled) has a good point.  Waiting for some kind of phone-call-from-The-Almighty each workday is foolhardy at best, egomaniacal at worst.  I agree with Woody Allen's similar insistence that "80 percent of life is just showing up."   Yet I'm still not anti-inspiration.  The truth is that I could never work on anything that didn't, itself, inspire me.  That's not something I'll ever give up, but it's a truth I need to take more seriously during those times when I feel stuck.   I fundamentally believe that the questions I ask in my research are important and interesting.  I believe even more strongly that teaching has the potential to change my students' lives (well, when I'm lucky enough to have a teaching position anyway) .  Finally, blogging makes writing FUN! (How's THAT for inspiring?)  So, this week, I'm determined to not wait for inspiration to "strike." but to instead to focus on what I KNOW inspires me....  To "be inspired" .... but then "show up and get the work done."

Anybody else out there battled procrastination? If so... share tips!  Or share your pain.  Feel free procrastinate on whatever you "should" be doing, by commenting on my blog.  :)

***Like this post?  Subscribe to Mirror, Mirror... OFF The Wall via RSS feed or Email or it!***

13 comments:

  1. i procrastinate when I'm not too sure how to complete the task/assignment/chore. So when i know that i don't know how to do it, i set tiny goals to get it done and then once i overcome that hurdle i enjoy finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for inspiration is like waiting for Mr. Right. It/He will show up as soon as you stop looking for it.

    And I'm a total procrastinator. I have to say though, inspiration does tend to show up as the deadline looms. I think my best strokes of brilliance have come at the final hour.....usually, but sometimes I've sent out mediocre stuff I'm not too proud of. So I've started making fake deadlines, and that works. Schedule yourself an hour or a day or a week ahead, to finish a project. If you're busy enough and your schedule is full enough, you'll forget when it's really due and therefore not cheat...too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a college student and ironically, I'm procrastinating on reading. I'm currently looking for ways to help me stay on track when reading things that don't interest me or are difficult to understand. My issue is I have a short attention span so I never finish things completely. I'm ready to be done with my BA so I need to do well in order to pass my classes and check courses of my academic plan. I really hope I can find ways to not procrastinate on reading/ while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with the big "P'. one thing that helps is remembering that inspiration often comes after I make myself start work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Notice exquisitely revamped dressy blouses not to mention tops chanel le boy replica through clothing prefer crepe, satin, sateen, man made fiber georgette, metallic, not to mention man made fiber charmeuse this unique fall season. Allowing you to include the preferred from at the same time sides from incredibly explaining a considerably softer end. The fashion completely focus might be concerning exposing typically the wonderful details of this unique season's blouses, big high on typically the neckline. Some of those fake chanel can include experienced slip on patterns which happen to have, one example is, some draped cowl neckline, some sophisticated neck of string characteristic, ruffles concerning collars not to mention downwards via the core, green tucking data, smallish neck of neckties, not to mention pleated over necklines. 2010, its info on typically the pant swimsuit and also cartier replica sale will find a large number of patterns similar to typically the menswear silhouettes because of yesteryear. A particular amazing plus that girls market leaders need which our a mans colleagues you shouldn't will be pliability towards slip on convenient methods for a amazing garment. 2010 typically the "It dress" patterns are actually sheath suits with the help of chanel replica either a divided up neck of maybe a knot associate from the bare; suits with the help of any type of neckline data; dependable darkness under pronating knit suits; wrapping form jersey knit suits through a large selection of colored marks; trench material suits; Pointe knits with the help of hublot replica sale romantic seams; belted sheath suits, and / or hassle-free patterns with the help of peplum data.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suppose you stay in Atlanta Georgia. You can begin by finding auto title credit administrations in your general vicinity. The essential part of these administrations is to loan you cash. There is no credit checks, in light of the fact that the danger is least because of the little measure of cash that is in question. Car Title Loans Chicago

    ReplyDelete