Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 67 - Shopping for Clothes Without Mirrors - Check!

Image found on this great blog post.
(Sorry about the very-thin model...)

I was staring at the curtain covering my bathroom mirror, when something occurred to me: this curtain is really ugly!  It wasn't even a curtain, really.  M had (lovingly) MacGyvered a navy blue bed sheet into a quasi-curtain, and hung it from the light fixture above our sink.  We are currently sub-letting a place, and have felt too nervous to put up proper curtains, since they are typically accompanied by a curtain rod and (eek!) several holes in the wall.  Holes-the-wall be damned!, I thought, I'm going to go find me a nice-looking curtain.  McGyver can figure out what to do with it when he gets home from work tonight...

And so it started.  I headed out for what I thought would be a quick trip to ROSS - you know, of the "Dress for Less!" variety.  (The "dress for less" part should have been my first clue that the trip wouldn't end with curtains.)

Of course.... on my way to the home-goods section, I had to peruse (err... I mean walk) through 3 floors of clothes.  Even with my eyes pointed down to avoid mirrors, a sign advertising "New Arrivals!" caught my attention.  My gaze instinctively zeroed in on the rack full of tops, and - with eagle-eyed precision - I spied one of my personal retail homing beacons: Free People hangtags dangling off a scintillating display of shirts.  (FYI - I'm a bit of a brand name junkie when it comes to discount shopping.  I'm no $$$$$ designer-snob, but I'd rather a pay $20 for a high-quality shirt that typically costs $60, than $5 for a poorly-made throwaway piece.  I trust certain brands more than others to deliver on this.)

Anyhoo... I made a snap decision to amble (ahem, beeline) over to the "New Arrivals!" rack and started digging.  With clothing size so un-standardized (please read my unwritten dissertation for more on this topic, someday), I had to work my way through everything ranging from "S" to "L", all-the-while scoping styles, speculating on size, feeling fabrics, surveying silhouette, and computing costs. I emerged with a dozen "potentials". Other than not looking into mirrors on the shop floor, things weren't going much differently than my usual (mirror-full) shopping habits.  But what next?

I held potential purchases in my tiring arms, and pondered: Should I venture to the land of mirrors (i.e., the fitting rooms)?  Or, should I BUY IT ALL!!! (tempting), and try things on at home to get feedback from M or my sister?  Basic math answered the quandary: I couldn't afford to charge $400 on my debit card.  I had to filter out at least half of my options, if not more.  Off to the fitting rooms I went!  

I came up with a simple 3-part dressing room strategy on my way: (1) I wouldn't face the mirrors in my fitting room, (2) I would immediately disqualify anything that felt even remotely tight, (3) if too many garments still remained after step 2, I would ask for 2nd opinions from staff and/or other shoppers.

I proceeded.  After getting a number card from an apathetic teenaged sales associate, I ducked into the nearest fitting room.  I hung everything at the back of the room (to avoid facing the mirror) and started trying things on.

3 tops were too tight, and I eliminated 2 others using my well-honed instincts for style:price ratio.  Only one top - a tank from Free People, displaying the phrase "YOU ARE BEA-UTI-FUL" (see photo at top of post) - was a definite yes.  With 6 shirts remaining in the undecided category, I poked my head out of the curtain to assess my options for a 2nd opinion.  No other shoppers.  Bummer.

Wearing one of the remaining "maybes" - a bright yellow T-shirt made by Velvet - I shuffled out to see if I could drag an opinion out of Ms. Dispassionate in the front.  I was skeptical.  Sure enough, after catching the young woman's attention (distracting her from a listless stare into space), I asked "umm, does this look okay?"  She blinked, looked at me for a split second, and said "sure."  Sure?!?!  That's it??! Bummer again.

Sighing, I assessed the damage and decided to bring the remaining 7 shirts home.

I felt mostly pleased by my choices. Yet, not being able to see myself wearing them was REALLY UNSATISFYING.  It felt like reading a great book in which the pages narrating the climax had been torn out.  (The $250 bill on the last page of this particular book was further disheartening, particularly since only $15 of it went toward new curtains).

I thought to myself: Shit. is this how I'm going to feel on my wedding day???  Too depressing.  I decided to get the heck out of ROSS and deal with that fear another time.


Well.... fast forward to a few days later, and things have worked themselves out, as far as the ROSS shirts go.  My sister helped me weed through the offerings: 3 shirts returned, 4 kept. They include: #1 the uber-comfy yellow T-shirt from Velvet, #2 her purple twin, and #3 a second tank (again, from Free People, shown here).  I think I love all of them!  


Finally, even though my sister thinks it's hilarious that the letters "U T I" are positioned directly over my bladder (Ha. Ha. Ha.), my favorite "keep" is the "YOU ARE BEA-UTI-FUL" top.  Now, if only I could get everybody else to wear them so I can enjoy the compliment!


***Like this post?  Subscribe to Mirror, Mirror... OFF The Wall via RSS feed or Email!***

23 comments:

  1. Your Mom thinks you are BEA-UTI-FUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom - you are too!! Excited to see you in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The UTI part made me crack up. :) (I found your blog after wandering around several links from Already Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Your Mom thinks you are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are you apologizing for the model? Wasn't this blog supposed to be about everyone being beutiful?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you are similar to folks, you can the particular retailer also overdue to have the dimensions or perhaps the louis vuitton outlet uk that you would like. This is annoying and sometimes many times oneself negotiating regarding one more type in terms of the particular denims or perhaps artist use. When you have the coronary heart established over a specific couple of Stone Revival denims, as an example, and you also realize that the particular retailer will be through your louis vuitton replica uk, you could acquire one more couple that you prefer, yet not as much, merely in order to help make the vacation well worth although. The identical applies Roar garments. With all the arrival with the world wide web, nonetheless, people louis vuitton replica uk have left. Once you go shopping on the web for your best goods inside garments for instance Stone Revival denims and also Roar garments, you may get specifically what you would like and also typically with a far better value as compared to on the retailer, also. You don't need to to be able to combat the particular masses or perhaps look for the dimensions when you're on the web. It is possible to just click and also pay out and be on your way. It is possible to go shopping on the web plus it tends to make a lot more perception once you chanel replica trying to find garments which is extensively coveted. As opposed to combating the particular crowds when you need to obtain the best identify inside garments, it is possible to move right to the particular chanel replica and purchase what you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for this awesome post. Keep up the good work. I’ll be coming back lots.I agree with most of the points you make within this content...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative blog post looking awesome looking beauty .
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the off chance that financing is the manner by which you are going to pay for the bike, ensure you attempt and get the most reduced loan fee so you don't wind up paying a lot for it over the long haul. You may find that the dealership can offer lower rates than if you somehow happened to experience a bank so make sure to consider the greater part of your alternatives with respect to financing. auto title loans

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, we are from the health site admin, want to share our latest articles :

    obat benjolan di pipi
    obat radang lambung

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you very useful information admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here may help :

    Cara menyembuhkan mata minus dengan daun kelor
    Cara mengatasi keputihan dengan bawang putih

    ReplyDelete